Join our Mailing List:

3DAlienWorlds BLOG

The castle 3d model is now complete!

2020-09-30 by David

After many, many thousands of individually placed rooftiles, and many, many hours of cursing ancient builders, the final version of the HUGE 5-level samurai castle is now complete.


So here we go........

Isn't it awesome?! This is just the CG render, and at this size it's a little hard to see the details put into every square centimetre of this design - but rest assured, it's covered head-to-toe in authentic details, fully detailed interiors, and textured floors, walls and roofing!


Printing begins in earnest in a few more days, so fingers crossed that I haven't made any stupid mistakes!!

Tags: teaser  samurai  design 

Assembly instruction PDFs now online!

2020-09-02 by David

We have quite a few print partner shops around the world now, so it seemed helpful to add a PDF section to the website, full of all the assembly PDFs for all our models!


You can find the section in the HELP section, or via a link from any of the product pages:


PDF Instructions >

Tags: assembly 

Introducing PAINTNER3D, our new German print partner...

2020-08-13 by David

We have a new print partner to announce this week, PAINTNER3D, from Germany. They are now selling print versions of our Necrontyr, Taui and Eldari terrain on their Etsy webstore!

They have started their range with our most popular Necron-themed terrain and all of the Eldari and Taui items, so for those of you who don't have access to a 3D printer, but still want a full tabletop of our themed terrain, jump on over and see what they've got for you!

Tags: partner 

Necrontyr Energy Monolith available NOW!

2020-07-24 by David

Always nice to do something fun on your birthday, and this is my weird idea of something fun! -  the new Necrontyr Energy Monolith is available for download from today!!


  Necrontyr Energy Monolith  


£ This monolith is a pretty big model, reaching up to a height of 20cm (8"). There is space in the base for LED lights, to light up the central plasma ball in spooky green glow.

£ From a model's eye view, it's massive - just about big enough to give an imperial knight some cover!

£ It has a flat top big enough to accommodate a squad of models, although you wouldn't want to slip!!

£ The problem I had taking these photos in semi-darkness, was that the painting on the inner sections of the monolith were also in shadow, but it still looks pretty good without LEDs!

The new Necrontyr Energy Monolith is available for download now!!


  Necrontyr Energy Monolith  

Tags: necrontyr  release 

Painting the Energy Monolith

2020-07-23 by David

The new Necrontyr Energy Monolith is coming very, very soon, and so it seems useful to jot down some notes on one way to paint this fairly large piece of terrain up!

The most important thing to suggest is to paint it BEFORE final assembly. The interior of the monolith is quite a complicated geometric shape, and although it is possible to get brushes into all the nooks and crannies, it's not all that easy. So I'd recommend doing the internal painting first, and then glue it together in stages.


Here's how I did mine....

£ The monolith comes in ten parts, and I gave all of them a spray undercoat of matt black, which also works as the basecoat too.

£ The plasma ball section has several tendrils of plasma energy which reach to other sections of the model, and I wanted to make sure that the area around each tendril was suitably lit.


I found that the best way to achieve this was to put a dot of paint on the section below, wherever each tendril touched. Numbering each of the quarters was also helpful, so they would line up correctly later on.

£ Next I gave the support columns a basecoat of gold and then heavy black washes, because these would also need to have green glow reflected on them later, so they needed to be done now.

£ Next was the tricky bit! I started with an airbrush and white paint, by spraying small blobs over the top of each of the marks where the tendrils would touch. A small airbrush works quite well for getting in to the narrow spaces of the base section, too.


And then my airbrush died! Damn.


So I switched to a rattlecan of matt white spray, and sprayed white over the central plasma ball and surrounding areas, wherever the glow of the plasma would reach. I tried to be reasonably neat, but overspraying slightly didn't worry me too much.

£ With the hard part completed, I switched to an old brush and painted over the white with the most neon green I could find (an old Scorpion Green, by GW). You don't need to be too careful here, because the green paint looks good over the nearby black areas, too, as extra glow.

£ This was the final section to be "greenified". It might look weird while you're painting it, but have some faith, and it'll look good in the end!


* The plasma ball in the centre is smoother on the final model, than in this photo. This was a prototype print, and I hadn't noticed the sphere was low-resolution until it had printed.

£ With the green glow just about done, I glued those sections together, and started adding some gold to the runic sections at the top, but only on the inside. It's easier to paint the inside sides before gluing.

£ This was the last big part to paint - a gentle drybrush with Leadbelcher (dark silver), using a large 2" paintbrush. Note that you should mainly aim to drybrush from side to side, because if you drybrush top to bottom it will highlight the print lines.

£With all that done, the gold strips were painted and then darkened with some heavy black washes, and then the runes highlighted again with gold to pick them out.


And finished!


Final pics are coming tomorrow, with an official release this weekend.... just in time for Warhammer 9th Edition's release!


Tags: necrontyr  painting 


Join our Mailing List: